September 13, 2011

Mid-Autumn Festival

Hello hello hello...

Today is the Mid-Autumn festival... So... let's talk about this festival, what is this festival all about?
From where I am from, which is dear dear Malaysia, Mid-Autumn festival is also called Mooncake festival or Lantern festival.  That is because, on this day, people who celebrate this festival will gather together to eat mooncakes while they admire the bright moon, as the children play with their lanterns or candles.   When I was small I played with lanterns.  I had a ninja turtle lantern as well as a singing fish lantern or maybe it just lighted up.  I remember my brother had a singing spiderman lantern.



The Mid-Autumn Festival is held on the 15th day of the 8th month of the Lunar calender, which is on the 12th of September 2011.
It is believed that the moon is at its fullest and its roundest on this day as the date parallels with the autumnal equinox of the solar calender.

There are sooo many legends as to how this festival started and all of it can be read here.


In the modern society, the sale of mooncake starts from as early as July when the festival is only in late August, early September or later.  This festival is quite hyped up in Malaysia where all the advertisements on mooncakes will be on the television and all.  And from what I remember, there would also be lots of lanterns of all designs being sold in night markets to attract the kids attentions which will lead to the kids bugging their parents to get them one.

Even, Angry Birds are celebrating this Mooncake festival.

Angry Bird Lantern

If I was home at the moment, I would be having a moderate amount of mooncake of different fillings which majority of them would be lotus paste.

Happy Mooncake Festival my dear family back in Malaysia as well as friends all over the world. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment