March 13, 2013

Les Miserables Review


Les Miserables is one musical that is pretty dear to me, as it was my very first musical that I participated in.  If I'm not mistaken, there was another movie on it before and I did not find it really that great, but when I saw that at the end of 2012, there was going to be a Les Miserables movie with Anne Hathaway in it, I was ecstatic.  I kind of love Anne Hathaway, cause she so pretty... lol... I just like her movies in general and her looks aren't part of it.  You believe me, don't you... 

For those who do not know what the movie is about, I'll try to summarise it for you.  This movie is set before the French Revolution towards it where people are suffering and life is tough and then the younger folks are trying to have a change.  Anne Hathaway is the supporting actress, playing the part Fantine a factory worker being fired and she has a daughter.  Hugh Jackman is the main actor, playing the part of Jean Valjean, a prisoner who was released from prison who escaped parole and went missing for 8 years and was found again and went missing and so on.  Russel Crowe played the part of the Javert who is a very rigid man who thinks he is right and everyone in prison is bad and even if they served their sentence, they are still bad.  Amanda Seyfried plays the part of Cossette, Fantine's grown up daughter under the care of Jean Valjean after her mother passed on.  Besides that, there is also Helena Bonham Carter, who plays the part of Madame Thenardier, one of the caretaker of Cossette while her mum was working in town I think.  

Last Wednesday, I went to UniMovies for the movie with my friends as it is more fun to watch a movie with my friends, right...  I actually downloaded the movie already but have not had the time to sit down and finish it.  In general, the musical was pretty awesome in my opinion, Anne Hathaway did a very good job as Fantine.  She was very emotional and of course, everyone else did a splendid job as well.  Javert really did not have to die like that I mean seriously, it just made the movie a little gory.  Anyway, you need to watch it to understand what I mean, though it is 2 hours and 38 minutes of singing, if you pretend they were talking, it would not be so bad I think. I liked the movie and my favorite song would be On My Own.  I really like that song because I kind of feel it for whatever reason there may be, I feel a connection to it.


The video is by Lea Salonga a Filipino Soprano singer playing the part of Eponine, daughter of Monsieur Thenardier and Madame Thenardier.  She was in love with Marius, who was in love with Cosette.  Poor gal...  The song is about how she is on her own and in love and wishes he was there with her but he is not.  :(

Anyway, please give this movie a go if you do not mind musicals as it is a good movie nonetheless.



No comments:

Post a Comment